Pet Update

Most of you know that I (rather my parents) have a pet parrot, Mittu. He has been with us for over 10 years now and is just a member of the family. People close to us know how he is more like a younger one in the family rather than just a pet. He has his routines, favorites, mood swings, and all characteristics just like a human being. And I appreciate the way my parents look after him. He is never caged against his wish. The cage is always left open. He goes in only when he wants to take a nap peacefully. There are ropes tied from his cage to different directions - one leading to a tree, which is very much his own. So as and when he pleases, he chooses the directions and seats himself comfortably wherever required.

But two weeks back, an incident happened. As every morning, after his sip of tea, he was sitting on the rope and checking his feathers when he heard quick sound. As usual, as a reflex, he flapped his wings and flew. My mom kept watching the direction in which he flew. He flew very low and towards the road. My dad rushed to the road (which would have taken him a minute) and by then he was not there. A kid in the neighborhood informed dad that a passerby caught him, got into an autorickshaw and went away. My parents were devastated. My dad tried searching the nearby places in vain. Mom was also tensed. And we also got to know of the incident when we called up.

To most, it just seems trifle - a pet going missing. But for us, it seemed too much more than that. My parents were the worst hit. Every moment they kept hoping that they would get him back. An advertisement was given in the local television channel also. A day passed by and there was no news of him. Then my dad decided something - to give an advertisement in the district edition of the newspaper. He approached the district news office and detailed the incidents. The reporter took an interest in the news and promised my dad that he would do a small write-up.

Next morning, from 5 am, people from different parts of the district started calling up at home inquiring about our parrot. And finally around 8 am, Dad got the much awaited call. A family, staying almost 20 kilometers from our house had got him. They were travelling by our route, found him, and took him. It was the-moment-of-relief. By noon, Mittu was home. :-)

It was a happy ending to the story. But the calls continued. People kept calling all-day long. Some shared their experiences of having lost pets, some were quite amused that pets can be loved so much, and some were just curious as to the news got any response. The reporter from the newspaper called up and dad informed him that they got him back indeed.

And next day, there comes a follow-up article in the newspaper that Mittu has come back. Actually he did his bit of the job by making the article more graphic and adding some perky lines :-) This day the calls were even more. People kept calling and calling. We were actually surprised as to how many people were interested in a lost pet and the emotions involved. Many were actually happy to know that Mittu was back. And some are still doing follow-up calls to know if Mittu is doing fine :-)

It was one of a kind of experience for us. Our parents experienced it direct and thanked all the people who called to inquire. I was equally amazed at how there are still people who care for others' sorrows and loses. Humanity still prevails!

Following are the news articles.

1 comment:

The Geek Solutions said...