Home Alone

Its raining heavily outside and there is no power. I seem to be the happiest person now :-) Except for me and Mittu, there's none at home. I have kept the doors open and the cool breeze is blowing in. Gleee... I am enjoying it. The system has a lil more of power left in it. Hope it will let me complete my post today. And now I am wondering what I should write about. Hmmm.... Still wondering!

Did I ever tell you guys that I have stayed alone in a house for around three months? I don't think so. Well now I am reminded of that. It was during those three months that I completed my certification in Tech Writing. The house belonged to my friend's grandparents and they were in Singapore. So I got this ground floor of the house all to myself. And a wonderful doggy, Tintu, also. Ahem, ahem.. I did have to pay the rent. It was not free.

Staying at the house was indeed a big challenge. Though the surroundings of the house were well kept, the house was not. There were big rats in the kitchen, some frogs in the work area, and a lot of cockroaches. I used only a portion of the kitchen. I never got into the work area. There was a store room of which I had never opened the door of the fear as to what would jump out. The paint was peeling out at places. There were heaps of newspapers and old toys in a corner of the dining rooms and lots of dust everywhere. I kept only those places clean where I used. I was actually a bit scared to touch things over there.

Though the house was a bit old and shabby I must say that there were some things wonderful about this period. Tintu was a very good companion to me. It was tied just outside my window and it would keep sniffing and growling slowly. So I was never scared of being alone in the house. All alternate days I used to bathe Tintu. Though she didn't like it much, she never misbehaved with me. I must tell you that I never had a pet dog in my life and Tintu was the first dog I ever gave a bathe and considered it as my pet as well. I am indeed a person who is scared of loneliness and darkness. But now I wonder how I managed to stay there all alone. Some nights there would be power failure and I would lay awake the whole night. Another thing about my stay here was that I started cooking alone here. I used to prepare coffee, rice, curries, noodles, and certain other dishes which I never dared to share with anyone else.

At this house, I had a lot of time to myself. I could watch television till I wanted to, on holidays sleep till I felt anymore lazy to sleep, and write, read, or just be lazy around. In a way it was good. Now I am wondering why I didn't learn crochet then. I had all the time in the world then. Some evenings loneliness attacked me. This was when I would feel homesick and sad. But I was able to overcome all those things.

Some nights when it rained over there, I would keep the windows open and enjoy the platter and small drops alone in the dark. And that same feeling am I getting now being all alone here! I must say, at times its good to be alone also. But not always. My husband will be home any moment. So now the waiting starts...

Enjoy your day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeez! Nearly 4 years on! I remember you telling about the ghastly place!

Resmi... said...

Yeah! 4 yrs! Hw time flies!!!